The Office of Mona Fortier, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier is currently accepting applications for the position of a bilingual Communications and Research Assistant in the Parliament Hill office. Interested individuals should forward their resume package to: Mona.Fortier@parl.gc.ca (no phone calls please), please include a writing sample in both English and French.
Experience in communications is essential but previous Constituency/Parliament Hill experience is not necessarily required. If an applicant is energetic, with initiative, committed to the community, diligent and eager to learn, training will be provided. Salary commensurate with experience. Please see below for job description:
Communications and Research Assistant – Job Description
• Serve as first point of contact for visitors to the Parliament Hill office, welcoming guests, coordinating with security, and carrying out reception duties;
• Drafting SO31s, speeches and questions for QP;
• Drafting content for community newspaper columns;
• Drafting content for Householders, Ten Percenters, e-newsletters and other communications materials for constituents.
• Manage the Member’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram;
• Lead team in planning community events, including annual Summer BBQ and New Years Levee as well as numerous round tables and community consultations;
• Assisting with research to support the MP in his constituency and parliamentary duties (particularly with Official Languages Committee)
• With support from parliamentarian assistant facilitate the flow of correspondence by managing, tracking and drafting responses relevant to the work of the Parliament Hill office;
• Maintain paper and electronic filing systems;
• Suggest ways to improve administrative procedures (creating templates, spreadsheets, etc.);
• Participate in the preparation of information for meetings and events;
Qualifications & requirements:
• Previous office experience is an asset;
• Previous strategic communications experience required (preferably 1-2 years working on multi-channel communication products)
• Experience with Adobe Suite is an asset
• Excellent command of both French and English (written & spoken) is required;
• Excellent Research skills
• Problem solving
• An outgoing personality;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high stress environment, where priorities are constantly changing;
• Effective multi-tasking, and ability to manage long term projects as well as short term deliverables;
• A demonstrated commitment to community volunteerism
• Familiarity with programs run by the federal government
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office and a general computer literacy, knowledge/experience of a customer relations management system (CRM) platform;
• Knowledge of social media;
• Staffing MP events in the constituency when needed (fairs, town halls, parades, etc.).
• Flexible schedule;
• Attention to detail.
Submit by November 15th 2018